Saturday, January 7, 2012

PRISON



A few years ago our Church started a Prison Ministry. I was part of a group chosen to study the needs of our local City/County Jail. I met with the person in charge of the jail and asked him how we could help. After discussing all the options we decided our best help would be to provide Prisoners Kits with basic needs. We would purchase wash cloths, soap, toothbrush, tooth paste, disposable razors, pencils, envelopes, stamps and anything else we wanted to include in a clear zip lock bag. We would bring them to the front desk and give them to the person on duty once per month. They would distribute them where they were needed. We included a small bible and a religious tract in each bag. Our church group met and prepared the bags and I volunteered to take them to the jail. The first time I walked into the jail I was shocked. It was dark and dreary inside the jail. I could hear cursing and yelling in the area behind the desk. The guard was on the phone so I had to wait a few minutes. Finally he asked me what I needed. I explained why I was there and he said he was expecting me. He thanked me for the bags and I left. I could not imagine how it would feel to be locked in one of those cells. Paul was in prison many times. Ephesians is one of 4 prison letters of Paul. While he was in prison he continued to serve the Lord. His inner strength saw him through many hardships. We all face trials of hardship today. God will provide us with strength. Do you have the strength to face your trials?
CLICK FOR RELATED BIBLE TEXT
FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD

12 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I suspect they don't leave them unattended with the toothbrushes, disposable razors or pencils.

JT said...

Thanks for your comment Gorges. The most amazing thing is what the jailer told me. When the prisoners were released they threw away all the contents of the bag, except the Bible.

Pumice said...

When the Gideons come to our school the kids grab the New Testaments up. Part of it is just getting something for free but I notice that during our silent reading time a fair number of kids will be reading them.

Yes, it is still legal to give kids Bibles, as long as you stay on the sidewalk.

Grace and peace.

JT said...

Thanks for your comment Pumice.

Gerry Adams said...

That's a great ministry JT. It was the Gideons putting Bibles in hotel rooms which was the main thing that got me saved. Some people will never read the Bible unless someone gives them one. When I used to run our church bookstore I used to give the give & award type Bibles away free to people visiting the church. You never know what might happen because of it.

child of God said...

Hi JT,
Prison ministry is a very deep need. How awesome you were part of this. I find it cool that the prisoners kept the Bibles.

Blessings,
<><

Starry Dawn said...

Good Morning, JT!!
Yes!! I agree with Child of God.
A Prison Ministry is needed.
You have such a compassionate heart, John, to volunteer yourself to go in there to preach the Gospel to the inmate prisioners.
You are an awesome Christian friend, John.
God keeps blessing you!!
Do you think the prisoners are able to read The Holy Bible??
I wonder...
Have you gone back there again??...
Best Regards,
Poet Starry Dawn.

JT said...

Thanks for your comment Gerry.

JT said...

Thanks for your comment Starry Dawn. I do go back and visit prisoners at least once per month. The only thing they have available to read is the Bible. People who visit them don't bring them books to read.

Ken said...

Hi JT,
I could not imagine being locked up. I think about Christians who are locked up around the world because of their faith in Christ. Our strength comes from the Lord...
Blessings,
Ken

JT said...

Thanks for your comment Ken.

Anonymous said...

2, tetracycline online,